Development in Northern Wake County NC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Development in Northern Wake County NC

Post by SSmith on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm

It has been interesting to watch the progress of several projects in north Wake County that impact the Green Infrastructure of the Falls Lake area. One is a shopping center located on Highway 98 and Old Creedmoor. They had a series of neighborhood meetings but I was unable to attend. My neighbors did and they were impressed by the volume of existing acreage that was to be preserved, seemed to be about half the site. It included a significant amount of existing trees and woods. It will also preserve an existing stream and they will be using rain gardens and artificial wetlands to handle the runoff before it flows on into the watershed. This will have a very positive impact on filtration levels and it is good to see a developer thinking along these lines. Are there any other traditional shopping centers coming online that are along the same line of thinking? I'm hoping we are finally seeing a trend develop as far as respect and preservation of Green Infrastructure by developers.
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Re: Development in Northern Wake County NC

Post by MAdams on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 am

There are a few out there but we do seem a bit behind the curve compared to other areas in the country. Its really such a common sense approach to use islands and perimeter areas for several compact filters spread evenly around to address runoff more closely to its site of origin than to use one large bath tub which always seems to be placed in the worst place visually and very unattractive. Stormwater devices are an amenity. Actually I propose using the term rainwater instead of stormwater. Storm implies large amounts of precipitation. Rain implies a more natural and consistent transfer of water in scale.
MAdams

Back to top Go down

Post by SSmith on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:36 am

Terminology can have a major effect on how people perceive a problem and the solution. Rain vs. stormwater does imply a more gradual and less damaging flow of water, and at a level more beneficial to the aquifer in the long run (regarding total dispersal area).

I still have to sigh and hang my head low every time I pass a traditional bath tub BMP. Whoever first conceived it did a major disservice to design and engineering IMHO.
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by The Green Locust on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:35 pm

We cannot command Nature except by obeying her.

Signed
The Green Locust
The Green Locust

http://www.thegreenlocust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SSmith on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:07 pm

That is very true Green Locust. We need to take our lead from the original design. There was a plan put in motion long before we arrived on the scene and we (civilization) have skewed it. We may not be able to put things back like they belong - and we don't necessarily want to as we do need the Earth's resources for our survival. But we do need to be genuine stewards of the planet. I'm not a Landscape Architect but their tag line Stewards of the Land always spoke to my heart. Maybe its because of my family's centuries of farming.
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top