Inner City Greening

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Inner City Greening

Post by SSmith on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm a regular user of downtown Raleigh's system of pedestrian sidewalks and street crossings. I've lived in other larger cities (including Chicago) and one thing that has always stood as a positive for Raleigh was that as you walk along several of the key streets downtown the horizon will be defined by a touch of green. Usually this is from Nash or Moore Squares but there also a lot of nice pockets of mature stands of trees sprinkled throughout the downtown core. Unfortunately the new convention center and nearby parking garage have reduced this impact. The city of Raleigh is currently undertaking a large scale tree survey. It will include current trees, their health, height and species mapped by GPS. But it would be very interesting to add to this survey once it is complete by mapping locations that were historically home to large trees or stands of trees but were removed due to development. This could be done by taking old aerials (SEE AERIAL 1949/DOWNTOWN RALEIGH), street shots and early street maps and then combining them to determine areas of high vegetative intensity. It would be an intriguing project and serve as an excellent tool in restoring the green infrastructure network. Any volunteers over at NCSU?
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Re: Inner City Greening

Post by Ophiuchus Park on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:23 pm

This would be an interesting idea but frout with planning issues. For example, what role will planners play in directing making sure the process conforms to planning standards?

Could US Interior funds be accessed in some way for this type of research? Any grant opportunities? I would be interested in being involved. I have heard that additional discretionary funds from the American Recovery Act might be available for local municipalities to access for green projects.
Ophiuchus Park

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Administrator likes this idea and has completed similar work involving a noted area of downtown Raleigh. As a result Administrator has a small archive of high resolution aerial photographs dating from 1920-1960 which can be utilized for this project.
Administrator
Admin

http://greeninfrastructure.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ophiuchus Park on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Administrator (I love the way you say that) can I get a copy of these files? Perhaps we can set up a file share system here in the forum? Is that possible? It could be a first step to a full blown online charette!
Ophiuchus Park

Back to top Go down

Post by SilenceDogwood on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:47 pm

For an online charette I imagine we can start a new forum topic and ask that one of us be made Moderator. Then we can upload a few base documents for everyone to review at their leisure, gather input, maybe schedule a couple of time frames during the week that everyone can hop on line together and get creative. Then we can just upload any edited docs afterwards. The simpler we keep it the better. This forum also has a photo gallery we can use.
SilenceDogwood

Back to top Go down

Post by MAdams on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 am

I'm in. I have a large collection of aerials of Wake County dating from the early 1900s. I have overlayed a few in photoshop with google earth images. Astonishing change in G.I.
MAdams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top