Green Infrastrucure Resources
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed

5 posters

Go down

Should all future development in the Lake Jordan watershed be halted?

POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_lcap14%POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_lcap29%POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_lcap29%POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_lcap14%POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_lcap0%POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_lcap0%POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed Empty POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed

Post by Administrator Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:55 pm

New developments have been approved. Will they have too much negative impact on sedimentation and overall quality of the natural systems around the Lake? Or is it more important to spur development at this time so that engineers, designers and contractors have employment?
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

https://greeninfrastructure.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed Empty The Purpose of The Lake

Post by SilenceDogwood Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:00 pm

I feel it is important that we take into consideration the original purpose of Lake Jordan. It is, in the end, a very large stormwater collection device. As seen during the development of Amberly there are serious consequences to development around the Lake. Sedimentation, potential kill-offs, and general lowering of the overall quality of the environment for boaters and other users are all serious issues.

But over stress of the system due to dramatically increased sedimentation is my main worry. A silt fence around the whole lake - or proposed development - just isn't going to work. We've all seen them fail too often.
SilenceDogwood
SilenceDogwood

Back to top Go down

POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed Empty If it was approved

Post by Ophiuchus Park Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:25 pm

If the project or projects in question made it through the planning process and received appropriate review by planning and properly elected officials - elected by the community of users of Lake Jordan - then everything that can be done has been done. The system of checks and balances in place to protect the watershed have worked. Now, could those checks and balances need finetuning? Yes they could. I'll admit there have been problems on some of the larger residential projects in the watershed but those were typically not planning issues but related to construction. And remember, no matter how good your surveys or plans there are always conditions on the site and that includes subsurface that are unknown until the shovels hit the ground. The old maxim let the buyer beware applies even in the planning process.
Ophiuchus Park
Ophiuchus Park

Back to top Go down

POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed Empty Re: POLL: Lake Jordan Watershed

Post by SSmith Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Having lived in the Falls Lake watershed for several years I can say from hands on experience that this is not an easy subject to tackle. Not only do you have issues related to sedimentation from runnoff but you also have the more important issue of potential negative effects on the aquifer.

We must think long term when dealing with this issue - there is no other solution. And yes Ophiuchus, creativity is critical to this.
SSmith
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by MAdams Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Effects on the aquifer are longer term concerns. A good first step would be requiring use of rain gardens in parking areas with artificial wetlands strategically placed around their perimeters. If municipalities would seriously start to push in this direction i think they'd get very little push back from developers in general and then they could ease up the restrictions on new development in the watershed.

Have a nice day!
Mr. Adams
of Fayetteville Street[i]
MAdams
MAdams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down