Green Infrastrucure Resources
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Buffers a Missed Opportunity?

4 posters

Go down

Are Buffers a Missed Opportunity? Empty Are Buffers a Missed Opportunity?

Post by Administrator Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Most all development these days requires some form of perimeter buffer to protect neighboring properties from the proposed development. Often these are standard cookie cutter "typicals" 50' to 100' in length. The quality and species of vegetation is often based on bringing it in under budget. As a result low quality material is often utilized and a few years down the road things don't quite match the original vision intended by the ordinance.

There has to be a better way - one that brings creativity and works in some way to protect and enhance green infrastructure. Thoughts?
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

https://greeninfrastructure.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Are Buffers a Missed Opportunity? Empty A simple and elegant solution to the buffer question

Post by SilenceDogwood Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:17 pm

[/i]Like you mentioned in your private email a few minutes ago my Dear Administrator, your idea of developing buffers as migratory corridors linked together on a larger scale is excellent. As you mentioned, developing a simple plant list, one with lots of animal and bird friendly plants to provide shelter and food sources all year long, would likely result in using a lot of native plants. This would also tie in well with restoration of the Genesystem you've talked about. As far as cost, it would likely be the same or possibly even less than much of what is used.

We also need to start looking at natural patterns when planting. The location of individual plants can have a major impact of determing the paths and nesting locations for any wild/bird life that would use the corridor.
SilenceDogwood
SilenceDogwood

Back to top Go down

Are Buffers a Missed Opportunity? Empty Re: Are Buffers a Missed Opportunity?

Post by MAdams Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Along those same lines what about specifying plants trees, shrubs and ground covers that would attract and provide food/shelter for endangered or potential endangered species in buffers?? It wouldn't have to make up the entire buffer just pockets located at appropriate intervals to spur their interest. Also the simple clustering of plants in strategic patterns (vertically and horizontally per their canopies) at random intervals could be done now without any additional expense to the developer and without any changes to codes. When it comes down to it the designer has a great deal of power to impact green infrastructure and wild/birdlife in buffers if only they take the time and interest.

Have a Happy Day!
Mr. Adams
of Fayettteville Street
MAdams
MAdams

Back to top Go down

Post by Ophiuchus Park Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:31 pm

So true Mr. Adams. I have found during my career of reviewing plans that often that aspect is overlooked. While it is not my place to promote this type of use for buffers or to require wildlife and bird friendly plants there is a part of me that wishes we could be more vocal about this. But we have to be careful about offering opinion versus the law.
Ophiuchus Park
Ophiuchus Park

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum